Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Here goes Nothing



Here Goes Nothing
I am about to start my first quilt, thanks to Fat Quarterly's Quilt Along


We're going to be making a quilt using the block in the picture above. One block, 80 times over for a quilt that finishes up at 44 x 55 inches. Perfect for a Christmas present for a little one, or baby shower gift, or just for snuggling under on the sofa.

Want the stats?...here we go;

You will need either 1 jelly roll

OR

20 different FQs (you won't use all the fabric in the FQs, but 20 gives you a nice variety of colour/pattern) plus a 55cm cut or 3/4 of a yard cut.

*****Edit - if you want to make the bigger size 30 FQs should be plenty*******

(If you'd prefer a larger quilt, use 2 jelly rolls and end up with a quilt that measures 66 x 72 inches - you will need to make 156 blocks for the bigger size)

Here's the schedule for those of you that like to plan ahead...

Monday September 6th - cutting instructions (both jelly roll and FQ cutting instructions)

Monday September 13th - piecing

Monday September 20th - quilt top assembly

Monday September 27th - wrap up


Wow, 1 finished quilt  in 1 month.  That's more than I would get done on my own, so yes, I will be quilting right along.

Here is why I have felt so compelled to make a quilt recently.....
 
  
I love the colors of the adorable puff quilt at Sew Dang Cute!!

  

This fabulous inspiring quilt was made by Karrielyne from Freckled Whisy

You have to check her blog out, she has some fabulous quilts on there.


 
This work of art was made by Rachel of P.S. I Quilt and is also featured in the Moda Bake Shop.  I love the colors of this.

   

And of course Amy Butler's fabulous quilt designs- how can you not be inspired by that??

 



These can all found at her fantastic free patterns website.


I hope you enjoy all of this quilting eye candy and wish me luck as I quilt along with Fat Quartely.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love quilts! I also love all of the Adrey Hepburn movies! She was amazing. Did you read any books about her? I see you are left handed. So is my daughter, but she is ambitexterous (spelling?. Have a great night and I am looking forward to following your blog. Come and visit my blog network and become a member. It is a super group of bloggers!

    Mama Hen
    Mama's Little Nestwork
    www.mamaslittlenestwork.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilts!
    following from blog hop...would love to have you follow back.
    http://funfritzfamily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful. I love sewing it is so much fun. GREAT HOBBY.
    I am stopping by from FMBT. I am a follower.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!